Mr. Freeman earned his J.D. in 2015 from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. He received Bachelor of Arts degrees in Psychology and Rhetoric in 2009 from the University of California, Berkeley. While at Hastings, Mr. Freeman received CALI Excellence Awards in Legal Writing and Research and Cyberlaw. He also was an editor for the Hastings Law Journal and a mediator for the Civil Justice Mediation Clinic. Mr. Freeman also served as an extern to the Honorable Jon S. Tigar in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California.
Mr. Freeman joined Valle Makoff as an associate in 2015 and has trained extensively with senior trial attorney Jeff Makoff and other partners of the firm. Mr. Freeman has experience in trial and appellate litigation, handling plaintiff and defense cases in complex business, commercial and contract lawsuits, and business-related issues in family proceedings. He has broad motion experience, including summary judgments, and discovery and trial motions. Mr. Freeman also has experience in contested corporate and LLC dissolutions and intra-business disputes involving control and management issues. He also assists family law professionals with business litigation and complex discovery issues, “Marvin” claims, and spousal fiduciary duties.
Mr. Freeman has been involved in matters such as:
- Obtaining reversal on appeal of directed verdict and key evidentiary ruling in a San Francisco hedge fund partner compensation and tort case
- Defeating contested writ petition (after Palma notice)
- Obtaining favorable summary judgment decision against multi-million-dollar contract claim
- Obtaining favorable decision to avoid involuntary dissolution of LLCs valued at over $20MM
- Litigation and settlement of complex contract claim regarding stock purchase agreement with technology company
- Litigation and favorable settlement for homeowners of claims by unlicensed contractor
- Litigation and settlement (following two-day mediation) for defendant of commercial claims arising from a personal relationship (called “Marvin” claims under California law)
- Litigation and settlement of “Marvin” claims for plaintiff
- Litigation and settlement of marital dissolution involving property division and compensation issues (including stock options/units)
- Settlement of trademark dispute with apparel manufacturer
- Asset-secured settlement (through acquisition) of LLC control and management dispute involving technology company
- Buyout agreement resolving LLC control and management dispute involving finance-related company
- Buyout agreement resolving LLC control and management dispute involving real estate development company
Mr. Freeman is a member of the State Bar of California and is admitted to practice in all California state courts, the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.