Mr. Freeman joined Valle Makoff as an associate in 2015 and has trained extensively with senior trial attorney Jeff Makoff and other partners of the firm. Mr. Freeman has experience in trial and appellate litigation, handling plaintiff and defense cases in complex business, commercial and contract lawsuits, and business-related issues in family law proceedings. He has extensive motion practice experience, including summary judgment, discovery and trial motions. Mr. Freeman also has experience in contested corporate and LLC dissolutions ("business divorces") and intra-business disputes involving control and management issues. He also assists family law professionals with business litigation and complex civil procedure and discovery issues, “Marvin” claims, and spousal breach of fiduciary duty claims.
Mr. Freeman has been involved in matters such as:
- Obtaining total summary judgment in favor of defendant against multi-million-dollar contract claim.
- Obtaining total summary judgment in favor of defendant on an alleged $1 million+ obligation on the ground of usury.
- Trial court and appellate attorney in two consolidated commercial cases that resulted in total summary judgment for our client in both cases, plus an award of over $318,000 in legal fees, affirmed on appeal (Korchemny v. Piterman, ____ Cal.App.5th ____ (1st App. Dist. 2021)).
- Litigation and settlement for homeowners of claims by unlicensed contractor.
- Litigation and settlement (following two-day mediation) for defendant of commercial claims arising from a personal relationship (called “Marvin” claims under California law).
- Litigation and settlement of “Marvin” claims for plaintiffs.
- Trial court and appellate attorney in commercial litigation case, obtaining favorable decision to avoid involuntary dissolution of LLCs valued at over $20MM, affirmed on appeal. (Boschetti v. Pacific Bay Investments, Inc., 32 Cal.App.5th 1059 (1st App. Dist. 2019)).
- Litigation and settlement of complex contract claim regarding stock purchase agreement with technology company.
- Litigation and settlement of marital dissolution involving property division and compensation issues (including stock options/units).
- Buyout agreement resolving LLC control and management dispute involving real estate development company.
- Settlement of trademark dispute with apparel manufacturer.
- Asset-secured settlement (through acquisition) of LLC control and management dispute involving technology company.
- Buyout agreement resolving LLC control and management dispute involving finance-related company.
- Litigation and settlement of probate claims concerning “Marvin” issues.
- Litigation and settlement of contract claims concerning investment banking agreement for technology company.
- Litigation and settlement of family business ownership and control dispute.
- Litigation and settlement of commercial claims of co-founder and minority shareholder of a high tech startup in a dispute with his co-founder and various venture capital funds related to the recapitalization of the company.
- Litigation and settlement of LLC control and management dispute involving consulting company.
Mr. Freeman is a member of the State Bar of California and is admitted to practice in all California state courts, the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Mr. Freeman earned his J.D. in 2015 from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. He received Bachelor of Arts degrees in Psychology and Rhetoric in 2009 from the University of California, Berkeley. While at Hastings, Mr. Freeman received CALI Excellence Awards in Legal Writing and Research and Cyberlaw. He also was an editor for the Hastings Law Journal and a mediator for the Civil Justice Mediation Clinic. Mr. Freeman also served as an extern to the Honorable Jon S. Tigar in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California.